Sunday, February 20, 2011

おいしい!(Delicious!)


Beef and Peppers with Oyster Sauce
This is a recipe out of the Asian cookbooks China section. It was really tasty, and so simple!

Huevos Rancheros
When Karl and I were on our Honeymoon in Glacier National Park, we ate at this great place called the Park Café at least four times. Huevos Rancheros for breakfast was our favorite thing. I attempted to replicate it here...yum! No sour cream or olives...but hey, I am in Japan. Not Montana.

Sushi-California Style!
I am in Japan, so what do I do in Japan? Make American style sushi, naturally. Really, though...I will eat the real Japanese sushi and sashimi with raw fish...I just can't bring myself to "make" it at home.

Angel Hair with Scallops and Sun Dried Tomatoes
From Chinese, to Mexican, to Japanese, to Italian! Delicious Italian.  The best thing about this kind of dish is that it only takes twenty minutes to make.

Broccoli Cheese Soup
And then...there is comfort food. Seriously, what is better then a simple, seven ingredient broccoli cheese soup?! Nothing. Absolutely nothing. This soup was really tasty and absurdly easy to make.

I took two heads of broccoli and put them in a pot with two cups or so of chicken broth. I let them get nice and tender while I melted 2 T. of butter in a frying pan, added 2 T. of flour, stirred over high heat till bubbling and turned it to low and added two cups of milk and some freshly ground pepper. Brought this to a boil and turned it down to low while constantly stirring.  The broccoli was nice and tender by this time. Usually these types of recipes ask you to transfer the veggies to a blender or food processor to puree them. I am not the biggest fan of that technique, so I simply took a potato masher to them and that worked out perfectly. After that, I poured in the milk mixture and stirred in two cups of grated sharp white cheddar cheese. Delish!


Pin It!

2 comments:

  1. My god, it's absurd how delicious these all look! Can I have the recipe for the chinese and Italian ones?

    And your photography skills are amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When you two get back to this area, I think you'll just HAVE to come do "show & tell" here at our house... bringing Japan (it's wonderful foods you've mastered, speaking Japanese, photos, etc.) to us! So instead of us going on a field trip, you'll have to BE the field trip coming to us. Sound like a plan?? ;-)

    So glad you're having the time of your life!! Love and prayers to you ~

    ReplyDelete